Athens ESF report/ Part 1
Statement 1. It is important to talk about the topic psychiatry within the movement of Social Forums, which originates the modern reflections of freedom.
2. A lot of psychiatric disorders are caused by violence and the abuse of
3. The most highest rate of isolation cell usage within European Menmber
states can be found in the Netherlands (about 20% of all patients gets
isolated during admission). This is mainly caused by the inadequate number
of employed professionals in psychiatry. Worldwide the situation of Human
Rights withinm Psychiatry is even worse than in the Netherlands. In some
Eastern European countries almost a half of all psychiatric patients die in
the first year of their admission (mainly caused by poverty of the
hospitals). Also refugees often do have serious problems with the way their
problems are dealt with.
4. Large scaled psychiatric hospitals, with a high population of psychiatric
patients, do show a lot of poverty, annoyance, prostitution and drug abuse,
This, combined with the usually impersonally approach and the imbalance of
power within psychiatry, and the stigma and exclusion of psychiatric
patients, makes the problems of a psychiatric patient even worse than they
5. In the Netherlands Mental Health Care is being privatized.
6. The main response of the psychiatric proffesion is tofight all
psychiatric symptoms with the presciption of psycho pharmaceutical drugs.
But this medication only represses the problems, and does not solve the
cause of the problems, which may lay in power imbalances, traumatizing
events, poverty and social exclusion, loneliness etcetera.
7. Freedom, patient and client movements, psychic and psychiatrical problems
and mental health care are closely related to one another. The practice of
the Own Responsibility of psychiatric patients means to organise and
establish all kinds of networks on self-support.
8. Unequally divided economic potential, among others, causes poverty,
housing problems, under developed neighbourhoods and unemployment. Thesae
are main causes of psychic and psychiatric problems. Within poor areas the
psychosis rates are higher, compared to the number of psychosis in richer
Main themes; repression, Human Rights, privatization, stigma, alternatives
To contact: send an email to : Jolijn Santegoeds, email@example.com